Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I am too Proud to Beg,

The great things about parties is what lessons we learn, or refuse to learn, when you have been in a relationship with the host. For the second, mind you the second time, I have had the distinct pleasure of going to a reception/open house where a person that I had gone out with was serving as a host. The first was so embarrassing that it dredges up too many memories. What is intriguing about these situations are these women's urge to shore up the amount of attendees by inviting all past and current flings, then placing them in the same room.


With men it is very interesting, in that the whole Alpha Male theory gets played out before a group of unsuspecting witnesses. Sometimes it is almost possible to imagine the marking of territory as the jockeying for position begins. For my latest venture, I was dressed as impeccably as ever and, walking with a confidence and adrenaline that can only be enhanced with the Stones' new live version of "All Down the Line" still ringing in your ears, came unto the scene. I was lucky enough, as in my venture before this one, to have two of my good friends meet me there(easily accomplished by the presence of free wine and food). What was of interest is that I slipped in unnoticed and was able to strategically position myself to observe the play unfold.


I know this guy saw me, because he got anxious right away(of course), but she had no clue what was going on. I was able to observe her introduce him to all. Also, he was the follower and had fully taken the role of the "she is with me" guy. As an independent observer to this scenario, I got that feeling of why am I wasting my time here. The key in those situations is knowing yourself, when to leave. The one thing just as bad as a repeater is the lingerer. You all know him, the guy at the party who is in the corner violating every protocol by staying too long. Well, that was the cue that it is my time to move on. After five minutes of being there, those little inner voices were screaming "run away." You've spent hours listening to this person's issues and heard her cry, but now are questioning what you have been doing. Well the answer is easy, it is time to move on.


From some of the comments on the post, it seems that there are many people who sell themselves short and settle just for the sake of company. These are people who are talented in their respective fields, have a great sense of humor and have led interesting lives. We are willing to overlook every sign that the person has some serious issues, willing to put up with B.S. we don't deserve, and then wonder why it did not work out when the facade crumbles.

So, be positive about yourself and consider what an awesome individual you are. Do not take on any one else's issues on as your own, and consider the source when they disappoint you, which they will,

So Sez Sax....

No comments: